Bernadette McCann House for Women Achieves Four Year Accreditation Through FOCUS Accreditation.
FOCUS Accreditation is pleased to announce that Bernadette McCann House for Women has been successful in its bid to be accredited. Accreditation extends from November 2012 until November 2016.
Bernadette McCann House for Women is the first Women’s Shelter & Support Services organization in Canada to be accredited. By electing to be accredited by FOCUS Accreditation, Bernadette McCann House for Women has voluntarily undertaken a rigorous external evaluation. This demonstrates a commitment to improving the quality of services they provide, and for offering services effectively and in a manner that meets best practice.
The information collected before and during the on-site validation clearly demonstrated that Bernadette McCann House for Women met or exceeded most of the standards established by FOCUS. Some of their achievements include:
- Highly regarded leadership and governance
- A committed and professional staff team
- Services that address the needs of both the community and the women who use them
- Strong connections in the community
- Effective and efficient internal operations
“We are extremely grateful with the response from the Community, involving feedback from 55 service users, 32 Community Partners, the Ministry, as well as Board, Staff and Volunteers within the organization
"Healthy relationships create healthy families, and healthy families create healthy communities." Leigh Sweeney-Executive Director- Bernadette McCann House
“An organization that meets FOCUS standards can be viewed as an organization that focuses on the people it serves, and on high quality service delivery”
Jennifer Keilty-Executive Director- FOCUS Accreditation
The Residential Program known as Bernadette McCann House for Women is dedicated to providing safe, emergency accommodation for up to 16 women and children, offering individual and group support, safety planning, education on abuse, and resources that give hope for a better way of life.
The Community Support and Outreach Program attempts to build on women’s strength and is respectful of women’s choices. Women are encouraged to be actively involved in the process of defining and evaluating the service they receive, and to take the lead in determining their goals. Outreach offices are located throughout Renfrew County serving Pembroke, Renfrew, Arnprior, Killaloe, Petawawa, and surrounding areas.
Services for children include a group called Growing Together, offering support by helping children learn new ways of coping with their feelings and behaviours that arise in families that have experienced abuse. This group is designed to help children build self esteem, to break the isolation of abuse, and to promote the healing process for children and their parents. Services also include one-to-one with Children & Youth, discussing topics such as dating violence, feelings etc.
In addition, groups and workshops are available to women throughout the year, and in different locations across Renfrew County. Staff is available to provide presentations in the community, not only about our services, but on the issue of abuse as it relates to women, children, youth, and elders.
Bernadette McCann House is governed by a Volunteer Board of Directors, and receives 95% of its funding through the Ministry of Community & Social Services and the Ministry of Children & Youth Services. The remaining 5% is accrued through community donations and membership fees.
Bernadette McCann House employs 20 full time employees and a compliment of relief staff. In addition, our services are supported by a dedicated team of volunteers, who contribute a broad range of skills to our programs.
Bernadette McCann House engages in yearly Strategic Planning. Current goals include:
- Interactive Workshops / Presentations
- Technology & How does it Impact our Service
- Physical Expansion / Space Issues
- Male Involvement
At Bernadette McCann House for Women interpreters may be arranged, and every effort will be made to assist you, Francophone staff are available to clients within the Shelter, as well as our Community Outreach Program.
No single sector is responsible or able to respond to the complexity of abuse and the needs of those who experience abuse. Consequently, a coordinated community response is essential.